Search GKGrades.com

Friday, May 21, 2010

Catching Up With Brad Friedel


US Soccer recently caught up with Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Friedel.  Friedel talks about his longevity and what it's like playing in the English Premier League.   You will notice in the clip that he's developed an English accent over the years.

Friedel, who is now 39, grew up in Ohio and went on to play at UCLA.   The first time I ever saw Friedel play was in the 1990 NCAA Division I Final.  UCLA defeated Rutgers on penalty kicks after a scoreless tie and four overtime periods.  It still is one of the greatest goalkeeping efforts I have ever seen.

Friedel went on to play for the US National Team in the Olympics and the World Cup before embarking on a professional carrer that took him to Denmark, Turkey, and England (Liverpool, Blackburn, Aston Villa).  

He also spent some time with the Columbus Crew of the MLS before his transfer to Liverpool.  During this time, he was awarded the MLS Goalkeeper of the Year Award.

He's also authored a biography, which I have yet to read.  It's titled, Thinking Outside the Box: My Journey in Search of the Beautiful Game  I may have to pick up a copy and see what it's all about...

Thinking Outside the Box: My Journey in Search of the Beautiful Game

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts